Akshaya Tritiya, also known as Akti or Akha Teej in India, is an auspicious and sacred spring festival celebrated by many Hindus and Jains worldwide. On this day, most of the population prefer to buy gold or venture into new projects believing fortune and success will make their way into their lives.
WHEN IS IT CELEBRATED?
In 2021, India will celebrate Akshaya Tritiya on May 14th. The term Akshaya means eternal prosperity, and Tritiya means three in Sanskrit. Usually, the third tithi (lunar day) of the Visakha month is regarded as Akshaya Tritiya. It is said that on this day, the moon and sun remain at their best planetary. And
SIGNIFICANCES OF THIS DAY
1. Lord Parasurama, one of the avatars of Lord Vishnu’s birthday
2. The great sage Veda Vyasa started writing the epic Mahabharata on this day and he invited Lord Ganesha to be his scribe
3. The day when the holy Ganges descended from heaven upon earth to bless the earthians with its divine water
4. On this day, Lord Krishna gave the Akshaya Patra (the bowl of unlimited food that fed the poor and the needy) to the Pandavas during their exile.
5. Goddess Annapurna was born on this day.
HOW PEOPLE CELEBRATE THIS DAY?
On the day of Akshaya Tritiya, devotees worship Lord Vishnu by fasting the whole day and donating food items, especially food grains to the poor. Buying precious materials is considered pious on this day, hence we can see many people buying jewellery, especially gold on this day. Plans for marriages, business and other ventures are laid on this day and are believed to bring fortune.
Investing in gold/silver is considered a sign of good luck and an invitation to welcome goddess Laxmi into our homes. The reasons for this are as follows:
1. It is a rare day wherein the sun and the moon are in their brightest colours, and this scarce sight is believed to bring good fortune.
2. It is believed that buying gold on this day ensures eternal wealth even for the next generation of a family.
4. Akshaya Tritiya marks the beginning of the Sat-Yug stage – the golden stage, the first among the four Yugs.
Although Akshaya Tritiya is primarily synonymous with buying gold, it is also a suitable day to venture into new things that are believed to bring positive changes to our lives. On this end, we wish you all a safe and prosperous Akshaya Tritiya.